Tuesday, July 28, 2015

My Review of Benkung Belly Binding

Benkung Belly Binding is a Malaysian practice of taking a long strip of cloth and wrapping it tightly around your torso to aid in recovery post baby. The list of benefits include
  • Pulling diastasis recti (separated abdominal wall) back together 
  • Quicker elimination of waste blood in a natural way
  • Aids in shrinking your waistline, hips and rib cage back to pre-pregnacy size
  • Helps with posture, preventing your back from caving forward while nursing, minimizing back pain
  • Helps your uterus and internal organs return to their rightful place 
The reasoning is that when you are pregnant, your body cells expand storing up extra fluids, fat and air to cushion and nourish your baby during that last trimester. However, when you have your baby, your body no longer needs to store water for amniotic sack and air to cushion the baby so your cells will release the excess and return back to normal size. The wrap is there to speed up this process.

I was really intrigued by the claims on this style of wrap as others I tried previously don't really work on shrinking your rib cage or hips. I have noticed in my last two pregnancies the hips and ribs just haven't gone back to their normal size. I am also worried about diastasis recti this time as this was my fourth pregnancy in 3 years, and while I work out there is only so much that can do to pull things back together, and I wanted a head start. The other thing is that it just looks really pretty. So I bought one from etsy and started wrapping the day after giving birth.

Here I am the day after


One week later


Two weeks later





I have to say that so far I am very impressed with my wrap, and here is why. At a follow up visit with my midwife and a gynecologist last week, they were so shocked and pleased to see that my uterus was already 4 inches below my belly button. This was only 5 days after giving birth.

Another thing is that while I still occasionally bleed it is not even every day and I am only about 2 weeks out from my birth.

I am also enjoying wearing a good portion of my regular clothes already which I have never done this soon.

We will have to see how it works with pulling my abs back together, but as everything else has been pretty accurate so far I am hopeful that it will do well in that area too.

Things I was not expecting:
That it is more comfortable than I thought it would be. It is like an all day hug and feels really good, especially in the tummy and pelvic region.

I get a bunch of compliments on how pretty it is, and I love wearing it.

It is easier to put on than it looks. It is kinda intimidating working with a 10 yard strip of fabric for the first couple times but I can wrap myself now in a couple of minuets.

The only down side for me so far is that I can't sleep or nap in it. Some people do and have no problems, but it makes me feel like I breath too shallow laying down and wakes me up.

In all I am really enjoying my benkung wrap. I wear mine for the recommended 8 hours a day and plan on continuing for the 6-8 weeks postpartum, which is when you are going to get the best results from using the wrap. I am really glad I decided to try it, for something so simple it is very effective.

                                                             Loving this little girl

                                                             The Farmer in the Dell

No comments:

Post a Comment