Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Busy Weekend and Birthday Detox Waffles!

We celebrated my daughter's 3rd birthday last Tuesday, and with coming off of all the festivities and picnics of the fourth of July weekend I know I was really wanting to simplify our diet and get back into the regular swing of things. However it is a birthday, and if anyone knows me well they know that I just love to celebrate birthdays and have a fun party and make cute food. Now we really didn't have her "party" then because I keep telling her we are waiting for her brother or sister to come so they can be there too, so far this is working :) She is very easy to make happy; that is such a grace for me right now, as it is harder for me to deal with a belated party than her. In hind sight I should have done it back in June but can't change things now so I will just have to go with the flow!

Anyway still wanting to make it a special day for her I asked her what she wanted to eat for her birthday breakfast. She asked for cereal, which is very easy and part of me wanted to take her up on it but the other louder half of me kept thinking of all the processed food/sweet things she had the weekend before, and that and while cereal may be a special thing for her, waffles are too so I suggested them instead.

Now I also realize that most people would not consider waffles a health food, and really traditional ones are not, but like most things there is a way to make it healthy and that is what we did here. For my conscience sake I like to think of these as detox waffles. I like to have these when I want something naughty for breakfast but know deep down I really should be having something healthy.

I usually like to have low gluten or gluten free breads and baked goods and these just happen to be gluten free/dairy free/refined sugar free and can be made vegan as well! However since we are getting a stock pile of eggs from our chickens right now I added a few eggs to the mix too but this is a very adaptable recipe. It also happens to very simple and inexpensive too and who doesn't like that?



Oatmeal (or Detox) Waffles

Makes about 6 Belgian waffles or 9 regular waffles
  • 4 Cups old fashioned rolled oats
  • 4 Cups water
  • 2 Ripe/spotted bananas 
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/8 Cup honey or maple syrup
  • 1 Tbs vanilla
  • 1-2 eggs (optional)
Preheat your waffle iron

Throw all ingredients into the blender and blend till smooth batter

Use spray oil to grease the waffle iron and pour in the batter. It doesn't rise/expand like regular waffles so basically almost fill the iron for each one.

For a belgan waffle maker it takes about 10 min, for a regular it may be closer to 5, and if you have a mini waffle maker those take about 2 min till browned and slightly crispy on the outside.

We like to serve these up with some fresh fruit, jam or maple syrup. Most of the time though my kids are so anxious to eat them they just get eaten plain! They are good just about any way :)

I don't feel bad at all giving these to my kids as it is basically like a bowl of oatmeal in waffle form!
Feel free to indulge :)

                                                                  The Farmer in the Dell







No comments:

Post a Comment