Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Baby Stuff on my Mind

The days are ticking down to my original due date and still no baby. We have tried so many different things to bring on labor naturally and I am just starting to think that sometimes you just can't rush some people, and this little person happens to be one of them. In fact I am pretty much resigned to the fact I may remain pregnant forever :) Really though, I am glad the baby is doing well and that we are ready for "blueberry" to come at any day now.

On our last visit to the midwife we tried stripping the membranes to see if that would bring on labor. To stay close by we went on a nice last date, just Josh and I, out for lunch and shopping spree to a tractor supply store for him and discount grocery for me. On our shopping spree to the discount grocery I started to realize about halfway though this big store that we didn't have much in our cart; and when we went down the personal care isle, that we make all of our own products so that we really don't use anything there either. This epiphany made my day! I really enjoy making things at home that save us money and reduce our chemical exposure, I just didn't realize the extent of it till our little date.

Baby care stuff is one of those things that are so easy to mix up and they are wonderful to use; especially if you cloth diaper, as quite a bit of mainstream creams and lotions do not work with cloth and leave buildup or residue. Two of my favorites are homemade baby powder and essential oils spray. You can pretty much take care of anything with these two and they never leave buildup.

My little boy has a problem with yeast and so I have to be very vigilant in keeping him dry and off sugars. I also find that it really helps him if he takes a pro biotic L. reuteri 3 times a week. Not only does it seem to help with the yeast but studies have shown that if you have a colicky child it will decrease the amount of time crying by as much as 50% over a period of several weeks! It boosts dental health and the immune system too. While researching what else to do and not do for the yeast I discovered that cornstarch based baby powder actually feeds that yeast and can make the problem worse. The talc based powder is really bad if you breath it in as the little particles get clogged up in your lungs and air passages. It even states on the bottle to keep away from a child's face to avoid inhalation, which can cause breathing problems. I don't know about you but I don't want to deal with that, my son is always grabbing stuff while I change him so it's an accident waiting to happen.

Well what solution is left? Arrowroot powder, it doesn't feed the yeast and if your baby accidentally opens it you don't have to worry about breathing problems. It works just the same as a store brand and you only need two ingredients.

Baby Powder
  • 1/2 cup Arrowroot powder
  • 10 drops of Lavender essential oil
Mix together with your hands and put in a shaker bottle. Use as you would any other baby powder.

The essential oils spray is really easy too and when I spray it on my son's tush he instantly calms down and relaxes. It is very soothing and healing to an inflamed or sore bottom.

Essential Oil Spray
  • 2oz Fractionated coconut oil
  • 4 drops each of Melaleuca, Lavender, Roman Camomile
Mix it all in a little spray bottle and use as needed.

Trying to enjoy the last few days or weeks till this baby comes, maybe it is time for another date or maybe a pedicure as it has been so long since I have seen my toes :)

                                                                 The Farmer in the Dell



No comments:

Post a Comment