Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Eliora's Birth Story!

I have been waiting so long to write this post it almost feels surreal doing it now.  It was starting to think that our baby was never going to come. I was feeling so heavy, depleted on energy, stressed and bombarded by an onslaught of other people's opinions/comments it really had me down. So I decided to put my children to bed early last Tuesday and just do some relaxing things to help my body unwind. I also felt keenly aware of people praying for me that night, as I was told by a handful of my friends/family they were lifting me up in prayer. So after some baking, facebooking, watching some baby related youtube videos, getting a shower and reading my book I settled in for the evening feeling a lot better and maybe even hopeful that I could meet my baby soon. 

Then it happened. I woke up at 1:45 Wednesday morning with strong contractions. I could have just danced, except I was in pain, so I was all smiles as I turned over to tell my dear husband today was the day and that I was going downstairs to walk around and just be 100% sure that this was it. It didn't take me long to figure out this was the day, so I called my mom to tell her to get ready and went back up to see what my husband was doing. Still sleeping, he said he never heard me the first time, but I told him it was time for him to get up and for us to call for a sitter for the kids and time the contractions. It soon became very apparent that we needed to get moving out the door, as my last baby was delivered in 3 3/4 hours and these contractions were getting intense. So Josh's aunt came right over and watched our other 2 while we jumped into our already packed car (I had my birth bag in there for 3 weeks now) said a prayer and sped down the road on that wet, rainy morning.

I labored with Boaz in the car too but this time I was trying to do more of the breathing exercises which helped quite a bit. Drinking water in between contractions helped too because last time I was hoarse and couldn't barely talk from all the yelling, progress. However we were still 15 min away and it felt like I needed to push, so for the lat 15 minuets holding a baby back was really awful, possibly the worst part of the whole birth.

We got to the midwife's home in record time :) Thank the Lord Josh just had new tires put on the car!

He and my midwife helped me up the stairs to the birth room where I was checked and yep, it was time to push! So after pushing for a few min my water broke, a little unusual for me as they had to break my bag for the last two. After pushing my baby's head out I am used to being pretty much done as the rest of the body tends to slide out but this was a different baby and I needed to push hard to get the broad shoulders and the rest of the body out. It was 3:45, two hours after I had been woke up from sleep by contractions, and now I was holding my baby girl! Praise God!

Eliora was just jabbering and talking the moment she came into the world! It was so sweet to hear her precious little voice! I had the shakes for a little afterward, probably from having a 2 hour labor, and after-pains but knowing that God brought us there safely and gave me an uncomplicated birth we were overwhelmed with joy! I love those sacred moments where you first get to meet and bond with your baby. Seeing what they are like and who they resemble and just soaking up the whole essence of this new little person who you have been carrying for all this time. We all were rather tired and I was ravenous so after I had a granola bar and nursed Eliora while we all took a little rest.

Eliora wanted to nurse again an hour later, and we had breakfast. After that Josh got to clamp and cut the cord and the midwife got down to business measuring and weighing our baby girl. Josh was guessing she weighed about a gallon of milk, 8.6 lbs and my midwife was thinking 8lbs 12oz. They were both wrong she was a soft, pleasantly plushy 10 pounds on the dot! No wonder I felt so much heavier this time! In all honesty there was very little difference in delivering my 6 pound girl and her sweet 10 pound little self. Maybe if I knew ahead of time it would have stressed me out and caused problems but as it was she was just a healthy, happy, hungry girl!

Phoebe and Boaz love their new little sister, Boaz just showers her with kisses and Phoebe makes sure she has everything she needs from blankets to stories. This little girl is cared for and well loved.

  Our little family feels so complete with our little Eliora, which means the Lord is my guiding light. I hope the Lord fulfills her name and guides her thorough her life continually!




                                                                 Enjoying this season of blessing
                                                                       The Farmer in the Dell

No comments:

Post a Comment