Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A Natural Close Shave

So for a while It has been hot, the icky sticky kind of hot that makes a person want to permanently live in water, and eat nothing but popsicles. Well it makes me feel that way, maybe because I am really pregnant as well so having children snuggling me from the outside and inside really is adding to my personal heat index.

At any rate I have been putting off wearing summer skirts and shorts because of the sad truth that I am not really thrilled to show off my calves, due to the fact this baby has given me some yucky leg vein problems. Never had them before, but I do now! However the heat has now become too much for me to handle in pants and floor length skirts, so sorry calves you are going to be exposed! This also unfortunately means more shaving and I just am not comfortable using the store bought variety as it contains sodium lauryl sufates and a plethora of other chemicals I don't want on my skin.

So I have been trying some other options out and I have decided the best way to go is a lighter foaming variety as the thicker creams clog the razors and make the shower a very dangerous place for a very pregnant momma with bad balance! After playing around with ingredients; trying to make it close to a foamy shaving experience I once enjoyed, I think I have found the solution for a smooth shave!
  • Almond oil~ rich in vitamins A, B and E all great for the skin. Also works as a light moisturizer without clogging pores
  • Honey~ another natural moisturizer, it is also anti-bacterial and an antioxidant so it keeps the skin clear and smooth by absorbing impurities
  • Castile Soap~ a gentile, allergen free, natural cleanser 
  • Glycerin~ seals in moisture, causing skin to look healthier and smoother
  • Lavender and Chamomile Essential Oil~ soothing to irritated skin, and smells great too! 
I like to mix mine in a foaming pump so I get  a nice lathery foam for a close shave. Summer is here so the less chemicals I am exposed to in my beauty routine the better!

Moisturizing Shaving Foam

  • 1/2 Cup Liquid Castile soap
  • 1/4 Cup Almond oil
  • 1/8 Cup Vegetable Glycerin
  • 20 Drops Lavender essential oil
  • 10 Drops Cammomile essential oil
  • 1 Tbs Honey
  • 1/4 Cup hot water
  • A foaming hand soap pump
Add the ingredients to the hand pump bottle and shake till combined. Use for a moisturizing close shave!
You will need to shake before each use as there are no stabilizers/emulsifiers in the shaving foam :)

Let's enjoy this heat and all the fun that comes with it! It is only here once a year!
                                                          
                                                            The Farmer in the Dell


2 comments:

  1. Erin, this looks great! You could start selling this stuff. :-) I don't know how you find the time to do all of this. :-) Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We really like the way it works, but I'm not ready to go commercial yet :)

    ReplyDelete