Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Filling My Freezer While I'm Waiting...

So I am in the final stages of getting ready for our baby's arrival. When this last 5-4 weeks starts I am so ready to have my baby, it hurts to sit, it hurts to stand, it is uncomfortable laying down I guess it is like that so you anxiously look forward to labor and delivery. Who knows, at any rate to keep myself from getting too discouraged I have been doing a different cleaning project, in addition to the regular cleaning, every week. I cleaned out our storage room the other week, the refrigerator, the stove, the car, my pantry...it is like scheduled "nesting" for me. It works best that way when dealing with two toddlers.

My other form of baby prep is making up healthy, nutritious, freezer meals so I don't have to cook for a while after the baby arrives. It saves me lots of time and money from using more expensive and less nutritious options of take out or pre-made dinners. I really just want to bond with my new baby and let my body recover, not be in my kitchen cooking or worse trying to think of something to cook.  I usually just double a recipe that I know will freeze well to make for dinner and freeze half of it for when "Blueberry" comes. (My daughter refers to our baby as blueberry because when she found out she was going to be a big sister again the baby was a size of a blueberry. It is our pet name for baby #3)

I had just been doing dinners but then I got to thinking. "Wow, maybe I should be making breakfasts too!" My children and I rarely eat cereal, I try to not use processed foods regularly, even the "healthy" versions. Anyway, who doesn't like a home cooked breakfast? So a big batch of sprouted spelt waffles went into the freezer and some carrot coconut flour muffins and then I got thinking my favorite muffin is banana nut, so I went to look for a recipe. Well I found nothing online to make a satisfactory healthy version so I decided to make up my own. We really liked how they turned out and next time I think I will try soaking the flour to make it even more digestible.

Banana Nut Spelt Muffins
makes 1 1/2 dozen
  • 1 Cup whole spelt flour
  • 1 Cup white spelt flour
  • 1/2 tsp non-refined sea salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp mace
  • 1/2 Cup non-refined coconut sugar
 
  • 4 spotted bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 Cup coconut oil, melted
 
  • 1/4 Cup whole dates
  • 1/8 Cup water
  • 1/2 Cup chopped walnuts
Heat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin cups with liners or grease with coconut oil.

Mix first group of dry ingredients together in a large bowl.

Blend the second group of ingredients and mix in with the dry ingredients till most of the lumps are mixed in, do not over mix.

Blend the dates and water till liquid and mix in with the batter.

Fold in the walnuts and evenly distribute batter in the muffins.

Tap the tray of muffins on the counter to get all the bubbles out.

Place trays in the oven and bake for 18 min.

Remove the muffins, let cool and enjoy! Or in our case freeze for later after enjoying one :)

My kids love muffins so when our baby arrives this will be such a treat. As my daughter says, "Blueberry is too little for muffins, so we get to eat them all right mommy?" Well not all at once hopefully but yes they are for us to enjoy while we enjoy and snuggle our baby Blueberry. 

We love freezers full of healthy foods and cuddly new babies, I am looking forward to both!
                                                              The Farmer in the Dell

No comments:

Post a Comment