Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Freshen Up in a Pinch!

With all the warmer weather we have been having this spring I have been feeling kinda icky and sticky all the time. I guess we just skipped over spring and went straight to 80 degree summer days. This pregnant lady is dreaming of 70 degree spring weather and the nice feeling that comes with not being sweated every time I go out.

There are some things I have been doing to keep this "yuck" feeling to a minimum, like soaking just my feet in cold water. This works amazingly well at cooling off your entire body without having to jump into a pool.

Washing my face in ice cold water. When I am shiny and "glowing" on my face I just feel gross so a quick splash of cold water and some cleanser is really refreshing and doesn't take too long.

I also have been using this dry shampoo to make my hair look fresh in between hair washings. It is not really good to wash your hair every day, it causes your hair follicles to swell and expand and strips it of the natural oils and protective coatings that makes the hair more lush/healthy. I also find that it just generally looks better if I only wash it 1 to 2 times a week. It can vary person to person depending on hair type and how much you sweat. Since I have been stretching the amount of time between cleansing my hair and not using conventional shampoos, when I go to get my hair trimmed, the stylist says it looks nice and healthy. I regard that as a good indicator of how it is working. I have also noticed my hair has grown quicker, this is the longest my hair has ever been, and when I was shampooing every day it would never grow longer than the middle of my back no matter how long I went between cutting it.

At any rate if you don't have time to wash your hair/and or don't want to and it is starting to look "funky" at the roots this dry shampoo really does the trick. I especially find it works well if you put it in before going to bed and let it settle in over night.

Here is my hair before (excuse the ends of hair, I had it in a up-do before taking these pics so the ends are a little wild)
Here is what it looks like after brushing the shampoo in the same night.
This is the next morning, it has settled in by now and absorbed the excess oils and the texture is nice and lifted again.


So there you have it, my experience with dry shampoo!


Dry Shampoo

1/4 Cup of Fuller's Earth powder
1/4 Cup of Orris root powder
2 Tbs Arrowroot powder
20 drops of rosemary essential oil

mix all ingredients up in a glass bowl and then store in a glass container, in a dry place. 
This stuff smells great!


As the saying goes,"a little dab will do ya!" So it really only takes a few pinches of the dry shampoo sprinkled on the roots and brushed in with a boar bristle brush to do the job. Too much and you will end up looking like you had a baking disaster in your hair. I know I have been there.

If you are not sure where to purchase these powders they can be found on Amazon which is where I got mine. 
Orris Root
http://www.amazon.com/Orris-Root-Powder-Organic
Fullers Earth
http://www.amazon.com/STARWEST-BOTANICALS-Fullers-Earth-Powder
Arrowroot
http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Arrowroot-Starch

To looking and feeling good in this hot weather!
                                                            




                                                           The Farmer in the Dell

No comments:

Post a Comment