Tuesday, December 30, 2014

When Stressful Days Feel Overwhelming

I usually like to keep some foods in my pantry that I don’t use regularly but, when I come home late or supper is still 40+ min till done, I have an option to go with. Who doesn’t love instant mashed potatoes? We live in such a quick paced world where we are always running around, working, and going to this activity and that event it is almost an addiction. Especially in the holiday season it is very easy for this to happen without even trying. I find my kids and I both do better if we keep a regular, low-key schedule and save the running for special events. My daughter loves grocery shopping, and looks forward to every Friday when we go. Like daughter like mother; it is soothing to my soul to go grocery shopping, always has been.  Yes, I am a little odd J Anyway with all the rushing I easily get flustered and loose sight of my goal of living intentionally for the Lord and become impatient. In my goal to complete my daily work, I sometimes miss out on the little daily blessings of seeing my little girl sooth her crying 10-month-old brother and say a sweet little prayer for him. Or see my little son reach his chubby arms up to me and give one of his sweet dimpled smiles. Simple, small things that help me to realize the work I do as a wife and mother are eternal.  The Lord is so gracious even when I am not. It is like in the story of when the angels of the Lord visit Abram and Sari in Gen 18. Were the angels of the Lord like, “Come on Abram and Sari! Did you have to go and kill my beef and make those flat breads from scratch? I am hungry, what is taking so long!”  No, and they did have to go out butcher a calf, dress it and prepare it and make some bread to go with the meal. Definitely not fast food!  Can you imagine something like that happening to you? Some special guests come by and your husband invites them in for dinner then turns around and tells you, “You have to go out to the store and buy your chicken, come back, make some breads and roast your meat, oh and make some butter for that bread too. “ This would not fly for most of us, myself included.  Sari did do that, and was gracious in extending hospitality on short notice. The Lord in turn was gracious to them in that he then blessed them with a child after they had long given up on having children of their own.  It is a good reminder that good things take time and waiting on the Lord is better than doing all we can in our own strength.  Having to wait for things in our lives, like owning a home, having a child, starting a business, getting that job or promotion or even a late meal are all good reminders that patience and being gracious to the people around us have greater, longer lasting value. 

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Isaiah 26:3

Perspective is so important. I need to be reminded to keep my mind focused on honoring my Lord, and then those hectic days will not get the best of me. Then is when I find the joy in my every day, and peace even in the craziness of being a momma to two little ones. 
Keep calm and have a box of instant potatoes at all times! You never know who is coming for dinner!


The Farmer in the Dell

No comments:

Post a Comment