Tuesday, December 9, 2014

When Sickness Hits Home

So this week has been a hard one for us physically. My little girl got the virus that was going around and she sick with a fever and sore throat from monday till Friday and my little boy got it on Friday till Saturday :( Nothing tears a mommas heart apart like having sick babies! As a mother, I had to not only think of my little ones health, but mine as well so I can take care of them properly.  So as soon as I realized that my little Phoebe was not doing well I started her on elderberry syrup and liquid propolis to help her immune system fight off the virus and get stronger. I also gave her warm baths with lavender essential oil to relax her and help bring down her temperature. She is really good about drinking her water and without me telling her she drank a 12 oz water bottle daily, but sometimes to get more fluid in, I have given her plain coconut water to hydrate her. She just loves it! I do have to put a pull up on her when I give it to her, and she has been in big girl pants for a while now, because it seems to go right through and she is usually just as shocked as I am poor thing! At night we put Vicks on her feet with socks and some on her chest to help with the congestion. We had lots of snuggles, book reading and waffles for breakfast(and lunch sometimes!) We made it though and Josh and I managed to pass throughout the fire without getting it.
 I was taking the propolis and elderberry syrup too, but in addition to that I was also taking 400 mg of Echinacea and 500mg Vitamin C as well as ON GAURD capsule every 4 hours. I wasn't taking any chances! Also lots of rest helps, so we all had naps ;) I think Boaz was getting a lot of the immune boosting additives in my milk and that is why his battle was shorter duration and less sever than Phoebe's. I really wouldn't wish this on anyone but it does helps to be prepared, this is a bad year for the flu so everything helps! I would highly recommend taking the Elderberry syrup to boost the immune system as it seems to shorten the duration of the virus and who doesn't want that?
It is very simple to make and if you don't have elderberries on hand you can do what I did and order some dried ones off amazon pretty inexpensively. One cravat, since it does contain honey it should NOT be given to infants 1 year or younger.

What you will need is

  • 1/2 Cup dried elderberries 
  • 2 Cups water
  • 3/4 Cup raw honey
  • 1 Cinnamon stick
  1. Place the elderberries, water and cinnamon stick in a pot and bring to a simmer.
  2. Simmer uncovered for about 45 min till reduced to about 1 cup liquid
  3. Strain out berries and cinnamon stick and let cool.
  4. Mix in the honey and store in the refrigerator.
To good health and happy families this winter,
The Farmer in the Dell



No comments:

Post a Comment