Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Farmer Strong Lip Balm

So I am loving the now cooler weather that is the signature of fall, seeing as we are at the middle of September already, I was beginning to get nervous that my favorite season would be wiped out by a forever summer. With this delicious cooler weather comes leaf changes, the air becoming drier, and the enjoyment of harvest plenty. It also reminds me of my wedding, that was now four years ago, where it was so cold everyone was in jackets during our outdoor ceremony. I hate sweating so I like to think that the Lord gave me the gift of cooler weather for our special day. It wasn't for my husband at any rate because he doesn't like to be cold!

We went away for our anniversary last week and since we have been having drier air he has been having the worst time with severely chapped lips. We went to CVS to pick up some chap stick for him but most of the options contained alcohol and other agents that actually dry your lips out more, so we settled on some Burt's Bees chap stick or "lip chap" as I tend to call it. It was okay and it got us through our getaway time but I knew he needed something with more moisturizing power that didn't need re-applied so frequently.

So I went home to make a "farmer strong" version that he could use. I love making lotion bars with coconut oil, Shea butter and bees wax. He has actually used them on his lips before and met with good success but I wanted this to have more staying power. When your hands are dirty applying chap stick with your finger is not really ideal. I also didn't really want that much. Most of those recipes are for making a lot so you can give some away but here I just wanted to make a little batch as a little goes a long way.

This is very firm and if you wanted to have it softer you could add some more coconut oil to the mix but I didn't want it to melt in the tractor or in his pocket so we went firmer. The ingredients are chosen for the moisture, healing and soothing extremely dry chapped lips.

Farmer's Barn Balm
makes three 1 oz tins
  • 2 Tablespoons bee wax pellets or shavings
  • 1 Tablespoon Shea butter
  • 1 Teaspoon lanolin (use the one formulated for breastfeeding mothers)
  • 2 Teaspoons extra virgin coconut oil
  • 1/2 Teaspoon honey
  • 6 drops Roman Chamomile essential oil
Add all the ingredients but the essential oil to a double broiler or small metal or glass bowl that fits over the edge of a saucepan filled with water and turn the heat on medium.


Once everything is melted turn off the heat add the essential oil and mix then remove from stove.

Pour immediately into tin or tubes to set.

Let set in the refrigerator for 1 hour and then use as needed!

It works really well at trapping in the moisture and healing the raw skin. It made my lips so soft!
Like I mentioned before if it is too firm for your liking you can melt it down again and add some extra coconut oil to make it softer.

As summer comes to an end it is time to prepare for the new season and good times ahead. Happy fall to you and yours!

                                                              The Farmer in the Dell

No comments:

Post a Comment