Monday, August 10, 2015

When Your Child Humbles You

I am sure that every parent, at one point in their life, experiences this to some extent. I didn't realize, as a young unmarried woman, that those judgments I so quickly passed on the mother in the store for her screaming child were maybe not the result of poor parenting. Possibly they were just having an off day. Why am I so quick to judge when I only see a glimpse of that woman's day, or life to be exact? God has given us everything we need as parents to guide, guard and grow children who will be a blessing and a rest. However, he never promised that the journey along the way would not include tantrums, bad attitudes, rebellion and testing.

"Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul." Proverbs 29:17


I was visiting with my friend and had brought all three of my children with. It was after a nap so I figured they would be rested and in a good mood. However when we arrived they proceeded to climb on and touch everything, break things, scream and fight with each other and pester the baby with any chance they had while being so busy with all the other destructive activities. I was mortified. Here I was looking forward to visiting with a dear friend and my children were displaying the worst behavior they could possibly muster. For not getting to see my children very often I was hoping that she was not thinking that this is how they are all the time. Because they are not monsters all the time, just once in a while :)

I was glad when my husband arrived to help manage them till we left, however we were both grievously disappointed and disturbed by our children's behavior. Why had they done that? Especially when we worked so hard to teach them how to conduct themselves when we are all out. I can tell you that it was extremely humbling. I felt like a parenting failure. I realized that all those mothers I had frowned on before for ill behaved children may have been experiencing the same thing and I had judged them so harshly.

Perhaps God gives us children for not only to shape and mold their little souls but for ours as well. My pride took a big blow, and honestly, it needed it. No matter how much we pour into our children we live in a fallen world and are fallen people that make mistakes, it is bound to show up sometime. The Lord guides and leads us as a shepherd with discipline and love. However he knows the unique struggle of young mothers because it says.

"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young." Isaiah 40:11

 

We need to be gently led. I need to be gently led, because many days I am just drained emotionally and physically from the daily parenting struggle. All you that are young and don't have children yet or whose children are young babies; please remember that when you see a mother when you are out, struggling with her child, look at her an realize it may not be a very good day for them. In fact a smile is always appreciated!


But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” James 4:6

 

It turns out that in the end I was really craving grace, the very opposite of what I was feeling toward other mothers around me. Grace for others to know that; it is okay, I realize that my child is a sinner, and that her/his behavior is not going to reflect a regenerated heart and mind. Their sin nature is most often reflected at the time when I desire them to be displaying good behavior. This is part of the parenting process.
I had my serving of humble pie this week, it was bittersweet, but I hope it was enough that I can remember to give grace to others with little ones. Remember that we all have bad days, ourselves included!
                                                                 The Farmer in the Dell


1 comment:

  1. Erin, this sounds so deja vu for me. I can sadly say that I used to be very judgmental before I had kids -- even more so because I did very well working with other people's children and thus thought I was "experienced". God used parenting to humble me more than anything else and to reveal my need for Him, for His grace, for His forgiveness... This has taught me more than anything else that parenting gives us the opportunity to daily "clothe" ourselves in His grace and to "wrap" it around our children and others we come in contact with. You are so right! We can't "judge a book by its cover." You are doing fine, Momma, because God is within you -- your hope of glory. He will finish what He started.

    ReplyDelete