Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Echinacea Tincture

It is nice to be prepared for things before they happen, I love stocking my pantry for this very reason.  This year it is my goal to stock my medicine cabinet as well. From the front yard.

Last year was a hard year for us health wise. I can't remember a year where me and my family contracted a cold more often. It felt like just after one person got over it someone else would start to feel sick and this nasty process continued from November till May. Near the end of winter I picked up some echinacea tincture. I was hesitant to try it because a 4oz bottle cost $20 but I was sick of being sick and sick of tending the sick so I broke down and purchased it. What a difference it made! As soon as my kids nose would start to run I would give them some tincture and low and behold it usually didn't go any further.

Wow what is in this stuff? So I looked into it and low and behold it is so easy to make I was mad at myself for not making some before now; and making it yourself is so much cheaper too! See it pays to be prepared. I also didn't realize that echinacea is actually more commonly known as a cone flower and lots of people have it planted in their garden beds! Like my mom for instance. I lived there how many years and never knew what was right outside my window! Live and learn I guess.

This tincture works to build up your immune system when you start to feel low or that sore-throat-I-ache-all-over feeling. If you make it with glycerin it is perfect for kids, or you can make it with vodka for adults. I mix mine with mint and my kids call it tea when I give it to them, "sickie tea".

If you can't get the fresh herbs to work with, you can always buy the dried ones from mountainroseherbs.com

Echinacea Tincture
To make the tincture you will need:
  • 2 Cups chopped fresh echinacea flower and leaves
  • 1/2 Cup chopped fresh mint leaves
  • 3 Cups food grade glycerin or vodka
  • 1 Cup water
  • Quart jar and lid



Mix herbs, glycerin or vodka and water in quart jar cover and shake.

Let it out at room temp and shake it once a day for 2-4 weeks.

Strain the herbs out with cheese cloth and put in a dark glass bottle to store for use. 2 droppers full 3 times a day when fighting a cold.

Pretty simple to do right? Especially if you use your own herbs this tincture is very inexpensive to make. I am trying to prepare for a difficult winter so I am not caught off guard this time. Then I can just relax and take care of my family without running out and paying the price with my health and wallet.

Take the time to do this while the plant is blooming still and you will be ready for whatever bug this winter is going to throw our way. Naturally of course.

                                                              The Farmer in the Dell

No comments:

Post a Comment