Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Heart of a Child

Sometimes, in the chaos that is motherhood, God sends reminders though some of the most unlikely ways. Namely I am thinking of children. As adults I think that we forget that, with all that we are teaching our children, they can teach us too.

One of my areas of struggle is with giving. I am an extremely frugal person. Those that know me well know I like to try and save wherever I can in the area of fiances. I have been a saver rather than a spender for just about all my life. As a child when someone gave me money as a gift I rarely spent it, usually it was put away for a later date. We always take out money from the paycheck for tithe but I am not really the kind of person who just gives money to organizations or people right away without first counting the cost. If the budget is too tight then I will put it off until we can afford it. It is in my nature to do that. However through different ways I had been feeling the pull at my heart to give toward children who don't have enough food and are fighting starvation every day.

First it was this video I watched on my news feed.


Then the radio station I listen to was doing a pledge drive that was working with the group Feed My Starving Children. I would listen to the radio and my heart was so heavy for the children who were forced to eat dirt to quiet the emptiness in their stomachs. Still it was not enough to push me into action.

Jesus talked about caring for children.    

Matthew 19:14-15
Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.

Mark 9: 41-42

 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward. If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea.

James 1:27
 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Then I was driving in the car with my daughter and we started to talk about what we were having for supper. She started off by saying that she hoped that we had strawberry bagels for supper and if we didn't she would cry. I went on to tell her we should be thankful for what ever we have to eat because there are other children in the world who have nothing to eat but dirt who would love to have her supper.

Silence

"Why, Mommy?"
"Because they don't have money to buy food"
"I have some money, I could send them money so they don't have to eat dirt! I don't want them to be hungry."

She has been saving up for a new wagon but she still wanted to give money to help those hungry children. I had no excuse now, my own daughter showed me true religion. We had to look after those in distress. We had to feed those who had nothing to eat, not just talk about about how blessed we are.

I can't teach her what gratitude is until I show her how to give extravagantly. I can't teach her faith without her seeing that Jesus will meet our needs as well as those who have so much less. It is one of those times where actions speak louder than words and NOW was the time to act.

We are coming up on Thanksgiving, a holiday where we celebrate our gratitude. Why not take this time to share with those who have so much less than we do? If you have been feeling the pull on your heart to help those who are less fortunate it only takes .22 to produce a single meal for a starving child. This can make a huge difference in the life of that little one. Let's use the blessings we have to show others the caring hands of Jesus, the kingdom of heaven belongs to them!

Thank you Phoebe for teaching mommy to give without fear, being led by the Spirit! May our hearts be tender and compassionate like that of a child to the needs of others.
                                                               The Farmer in the Dell 





1 comment:

  1. Grandma had a little girl who gave all she had to a missionary who needed a car. It is truly a humbling experience to be taught by a child. When obedient to that small voice within your heart you may be overcome by what God has for you! EXPERIENCE is the BEST TEACHER and He is a Rewarder of those who deligently seek Him.

    ReplyDelete