Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Can I Meet my Children's Needs?

Do you ever feel so rushed and overwhelmed with daily work that you don't have time to really nurture your children? I know I do, they keep asking you to play with them, hold them or just listen to them, their little soul is just aching for your companionship, and the work needs to get finished. Then they start being destructive or naughty, not because they want to be, but more for the attention that they felt they couldn't get in a more constructive way.

I often feel guilty for not being able to spend more quality time with my children, I feel like they just get to come along for the ride with me and share in my work and life. It has been weighing on me pretty heavy as we are getting into the beginning of our busy season here at the farm so they see their Daddy less too. It makes for less help around the home for me(=a more stressed mommy) and less quality family time as well.

I was reminded while we were having our family devotions recently that even Mary, the woman chosen by God specifically to mother His Son, had days like this too. In Luke 2 Verse 41-52 we see that she and Joseph are in a very busy time in their lives too. They were returning home from Passover, which is a very big holiday in the Jewish culture, and they had traveled with a large group of family to celebrate in Jerusalem; in my experience holiday celebrations involving lots of people is never a stress free event. Then after a day into the journey home they realize he is not with the group. As a mom I know that I would be panic stricken at this point! They back track and look everywhere for him for 3 days! When they do find him he is in the temple listening and asking questions to the teachers. I really feel like Mary was still panicked and unloading her anxiety on her son when she said, "Son, why have You treated us this way? Behold, Your father and I have been anxiously looking for You." His reply is Why is it that you were looking for Me? Did you not know that I had to be in My Father’s house? Jesus needed to have quality time with His father. When our children are young, and don't have that personal relationship with the Lord, they feel a need to share be known with us parents instead of with their savoir.

It is such an honor that our children want to be with us and share everything because sometimes when we don't make time we miss the beautiful moments of their personal growth or spiritual connection. I know that I often have to slow down and take a break to just be "with" my children. Draw a picture, listen to a story, eat a pretend meal or just give a hug. The little things that take maybe 5 or so min throughout the day resonate deeply with children; and really, don't we like to have the ones we love share in the little things in our life too?

One of the last things in the story of Jesus being in the temple was that after all that went on it said that Mary treasured all these things in her heart. As we guide our children and share in their lives, those moments where we see their desire for the Lord, we should treasure in our hearts.  It is special, sacred even and as a mother I get the blessed opportunity to witness that with each of my children. I pray that one day, when I share my love for Jesus, their hearts will realize that what I will never be able to fill as a mother, they will always be able to have with Jesus the heavenly Father. The special oneness they crave.

Don't be discouraged on the busy days, instead be encouraged, knowing the only one that is perfect and can meet every need our child has is Jesus and we just have to point our children to Him.  He will satisfy our hearts and fill us up so we can pour out to others. Rest in Him, and share with your precious children in the little moments and big ones too.



                                                              The Farmer in the Dell










No comments:

Post a Comment