Tuesday, February 3, 2015

My Baby is Turning One, How Did That Happen?

It is so crazy how time goes so slow with your first child, you always seem to be waiting. First of all waiting for them to arrive, waiting for them to talk, waiting for them to roll, then crawl, then walk. I was always checking to make sure that she was keeping up with all the other children her age with developmental milestones. We were always taking pictures and video of all these "firsts" and documenting them for posterity.
Then I had my second child and suddenly everything is coming way too fast. I was almost caught off guard, because I had my sweet angel first child to keep me so busy and occupied that I lost track of time. He was even born before we were really ready, I had him 20 min after arriving at the midwife. We would have had him in the truck if we didn't drive so fast. That is really part of his personality too. When he is ready for something (like food or a nap) he wants it fast! I am developing my patience as he develops his.
It really hit me yesterday as it was February the first that my baby was going to turn one in just one month exactly! How did that even happen, he just learned to crawl a month ago and is learning new words and signs every day but he can't be turning one?
Well with only a month to go we have to get ready to party because we love to celebrate birthdays!
For Boaz's first birthday we are going to do a music theme because my little boy loves to jam! Every time he hears a tune he starts rocking and smiling; and if he can make a noise with something he is playing with then it is even better!
We have started making his pinata because as my daughter says, "we need a pinata for a birthday momma!" Plus what is more fun then getting to play with paste and ripping up daddy's old Lancaster Farmer news paper? I think she was feeling a little guilty about ripping up daddy's paper so she told him as soon as he came in the door from work, he of course didn't mind :)

We decided on making a guitar pinata so first thing we needed to do was trace out the shape on 2 pieces of cardboard and cut them out.


Then we taped some little balloons in between the two cardboard cut outs and put some tape on the sides to keep it from wobbling.

Next is the fun part, making paste I used 2 parts water to one part flour to make the glue. Then we ripped up an "old" Lancaster Farmer into strips and started to cover our guitar. We did about 4 layers then I cut a little hole in the side to pop the balloons and make a place for the strings to hang it up with.

We did about 3 more layers then put some colored tissue paper around the sides and decorated the front with colored paper and voila!

A pinata that I didn't have pay an arm and a leg for that can also be used as a party decoration. I like to put the money into the goodies to stuff it with, like boxes of raisins or crasins, squeezable fruit packs, granola bars and some fun toys. I try to keep away from having too much candy and we found things like goldfish crackers do not fare well in pinatas.

It is really hard for me to realize that my little "Boss" is turning one soon, so I am enjoying all the snuggles and cuddle time now while I still can!





No comments:

Post a Comment